The Fashion Buying and Merchandising Certificate is a practical course that aims to prepare a passionate professional in the elusive art of buying and selling. Someone who knows what customers want, even before they do, and is equipped with a detailed knowledge of fashion trends and instinctively respond to industry developments with superior forecasting ability.
- Learn from Lecturers who are industry professionals with extensive experience and knowledge of working in the fast-paced buying environment.
- Gain detailed insight into the role and responsibilities of a Buyer and Merchandiser.
- Industry professional will be invited for guest talks and lectures.
- On successful completion of the course you will be awarded a Buying certificate from the Grafton Academy of Fashion Design.
- On successful completion of this course you will be offered a 5-week work placement within a buying environment.
- 20 weeks, over 2 terms (10 weeks a term)
- 2 evenings per week
This 20-week programme is designed to provide students with the commercial skills required to succeed as a buyer. The programme allows students to combine creativity with essential buying skills, so that they are well placed to work as a buyer in a range of organisations including multinational companies and owner-based retailers.
The lecturing team have extensive experience in international buying, fashion design, styling, high volume textiles and branded selection. The team have an excellent industry contact base, and the course will include talks and lectures from some of these industry professionals.
The course is suitable for those who have an interest in the area of buying, as well as those considering a career change. This course is also ideal for those already working as buyers who wish to advance their career.
Role of the buyer and merchanidiser: Learn the responsibilities, requirements and qualities associated with a buyer and merchandiser. Explore the variety of buying roles in the industry.
Trend Forecasting: Learn where to source trend information and how to effectively forecast trends and plan a range. Understand the importance of trends and how to interpret them for your target customer. Analyse high end and high street brands.
Buying Cycle: Learn about the buying cycle of a product and how to effectively plan ranges within a budget and achieve sales.
Consumer behaviour and patterns: Learn about economic influences on consumer behaviour, and explore competitive forces within the retail industry.
The Buying Calendar Understand the importance of buying the right product at the right time, and learn how to review and analyse the previous season’s performance and plan for the next season.
Global Sourcing and Product Development: Learn about fabrics, the construction of garments and terminology associated with costing and sampling garments.
Team management skills and leadership: Understand the roles within the buying office and how these roles and teams interact. Develop the skills, knowledge and confidence to present ranges and garments to various leaders and teams within the business.
Minimum Entry requirements:
- Applications will have completed a leaving certificate or equivalent international certificate.
Applications are also accepted from:
- Applicants who hold a 3 rd level Qualification
- Applicants who have retail sector work experience
- Mature Applicants (23 years and over, with or without the Leaving Certificate requirement)
Email your interest to firstname.lastname@example.org and subscribe to our mailing list for more information.